Horizons Community Solutions: Launched in 2016 as an expansion of the Cancer Coalition of South Georgia.
**A broad new mission to improve wellness and economic vitality in our communities**
Since 2002, the Cancer Coalition – by collaborating with hundreds of partners – has been fighting cancer locally. Major partners and sources of support include:
- The State of Georgia and state and local elected officials
- Phoebe Putney Health System, South Georgia Medical Center, Tift Regional Health System, Miller County Hospital, and other healthcare organizations
- Primary care and specialty care physicians and other providers
- State and local public health departments and other agencies
- Emory Prevention Research Center/Emory University and other universities
- Businesses across the region
- Local school districts, churches, community organizations and other stakeholders
- Private and corporate foundations
- Countless individuals.
Nationally recognized for our programs and research, the Cancer Coalition’s work steadfastly continues as a division of Horizons. Key programs and services include: Screening and early detection; patient navigation; prevention/risk reduction research; community-based outreach and education; and support for local cancer patients.
Why expand? To achieve long-term wellness in our communities, we must do more! We must address the underlying causes of health disparities. We must work with and within local communities to create a sustainable culture of wellness. We must help strengthen communities and empower people to lead healthy and productive lives.
As Horizons Community Solutions, we move into our 15th year stronger and more determined than ever. We look forward to the time when disparities – and the associated suffering – are merely past history in South Georgia.